Wednesday, March 5, 2008

One adventure leads to another

I’m in Dubrovnik Croatia.

So Monday morning I woke up early to eat breakfast with Mr. Hust. We went to the country kitchen and a couple of teachers were there because the school had a delay that later became a closure. Came home, finished packing and took off with my mother for the Syracuse Airport. We Stopped last minute radio shak in the Carousel mall to buy European power adapter/converters/whatever. The guy asked where I was going, I said “Croatia” and he said that nobody had ever told him that they were going there before. Got to the airport, gave them my luggage, ate a sandwich with my mother, then left to wait at the gate.

Flew into Washington Dulles where I had a 3 hour wait for the next leg of my journey. This airport was much busier than the one in Syracuse. I kept running into this group of Germans that were mocking all of the people that ran. I had time and hunger so after I made sure I knew which gate I was supposed to leave from I went into subway. Eating there was a good move it turned out as they had open tables and free refills. At least, I assumed they were free, and nobody yelled at me. I stayed there for about an hour, called home one last time then proceeded to gate C6. United “easy update” kept calling me telling me that my flight was departing from gate D15, but it was lying. I think they like to play tricks on people. That’s why they book more people for flights than there are seats. You can’t blame them, travelers just don’t have a very good sense of humor. The plane ride was long and I did a lot of reading, fortunately the seat next to me was empty so I didn’t need to worry about small talk.

In Frankfurt I met up with Brad and Stacy. I hadn’t been sure that anyone else was coming in at the same time as me so I was glad to see them. The flight to Dubrovnik was short. We met Zoran after we picked up our luggage and he took us around the city. Stacy printed pictures for the bus pass, we went to T-Mobil but decided that we weren’t quite ready to purchase a fone yet, and then we bought groceries which consisted of bread, turkey, some chicken spread kind of thing, and microwavable meals. None of us were very talkative or decisive, we just did whatever Zoran said. Probably not a bad idea for the next couple of days .

The apartment is very nice and really clean. I didn’t do much else the rest of the day, by 4:30pm I was in bed and slept until 3:30 am, hopefully I’ll adjust to the time change by the time classes start. At 10 we’re going to visit the school for the first time, it’s all very exciting.

No comments: